He is one of the most celebrated tap dancers of all time. In fact, if someone wanted it to look like natural causes or AIDS that would be the best way to do with without looking like a murder. Abscess. Arafat's long time personal doctor confirmed he died of AIDS, although that's not the official cause of his death. Friends of the deceased are interviewed as well especially what was going on around the death. The list, not hidden but more names on there then I knew about. . You know how he got AIDS. He was married to Pamela Koslow and Patricia Panella. The description of how he died was not in line at all with typical AIDS symptoms. Billy, do you mind if he joins us? Here is all you want to know, and more! Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site Jim J. Bullockoh wait, it was only his career that died. Odd since he's not that old and was once muscular. He always looks sick and frail. Gregory Hines was born on February 14, 1946 in New York City, New York, USA as Gregory Oliver Hines. LOS ANGELES - Gregory Hines, the greatest tap dancer of his generation who transcended the stage with a successful screen career that included starring roles in "White Nights" and "The Cotton. Hines became internationally known as part of a jazz tap due with his brother, Maurice, and the two danced together in the musical revue ``Eubie! in 1978. Unfortunately for him and Mrs. Spaeth, no one knew he had AIDS. Gregory Oliver Hines (February 14, 1946 August 9, 2003) was an American dancer, actor, choreographer, and singer. Celebrate your homophobic hero at your local church, not here at this Lounge where the Gay is loud and proud, presenting hole while draining pasta. Mr. Hines's marriages to Patricia Panella and Pamela Koslow ended in divorce. View a cause of death to find out which celebrities died from it. Starting out as a small-town Minnesota girl, this gorgeous blonde ran off to Hollywood, and it wasn't long before she became one of the biggest stars of the 1940s and 1950s, starring alongside acting greats like James Cagney, Gary Cooper, and Gregory Peck. James Coco died of a heart attack, not AIDS. Acute Disease. ''Visual elegance, as always, yields to aural power. George Michael didn't die of AIDS but he had it. My friend who ultimately died of AIDS claimed to have lymphoma for about 30 years. Gregory Hines's Death - Cause and Date Born (Birthday) Feb 14, 1946 Death Date August 9, 2003 Age of Death 57 years Cause of Death Hepatocellular Carcinoma Profession Dancer The dancer Gregory Hines died at the age of 57. R199 sounds interesting. The cause was cancer, said Yvette Glover, a longtime friend and the mother of the tap-dancer Savion Glover, who frequently described Mr. Hines as a mentor. After his death, John Loftus reported on ABC radio that Arafat had died of AIDS. He was diagnosed with the disease more than one year earlier, but informed only his closest friends. Regarding the comment above claiming Alzado died from a brain tumor. He followed up that success with Tony-nominated performances in ''Comin' Uptown'' (1980) and ''Sophisticated Ladies'' (1981), and had featured roles in two films that year, playing a Roman slave in his film debut in Mel Brooks's ''History of the World -- Part I'' and a coroner in ''Wolfen,'' an allegorical mystery directed by Michael Wadleigh. From Wikipedia: "According to some of his friends in news articles he did enjoy the services of female prostitutes.". He was a heroin addict into the 80s. Not necessarily something that happens when you get poisoned. He was a bisexual man, who died of AIDS and circulated the Roid story as it was far more palatable. Can someone die from AIDS while being obese? I have no idea why there would be gay rumors about Jim Henson. This is suggested because his symptoms were characteristic of an AIDS-related illness. I'm alone, negative and sad. GQ leaves to cherish his memory Mother Nakita Turner(Kevin), Father Gregory Hines(Sandra), Sisters Amoria Turner, Dominique Figures(Devin), Tatyana Luster(Stefan), Brother Shemar Turner, and Grandparents Margret Jackson(Morris), Clarence Bell(Judith), and AC McDaniel(Hazel), Darryl Howard(Carmen, Special Friend Kendra McKinny, Special Brothers Cameron Hanson, LaDarrian Acy, Steve Skillern, Special Uncles Jeffery Booker and Kendrick Burns along with a host of uncles, aunts, cousins and friends. There were reports in late 1980 about two men in San Francisco dying mysteriously of very similar symptoms, symptoms that later became what became indicators of what would later be called full-blown AIDS. I was MARRIED! He was a heroin addict into the 80s. Sources. r104 - I did several Google searches and read several obits and nothing mentions AIDS related symptoms typical in 1990. He sheepishly grinned at me and then the two of them whispered for a bit. Fascinating. The production also starred Maurice though it was the ever-suave Gregory who took the reviews. The first is regarding Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. His notable movies include The Cotton Club and White Nights. Eat ass. Held His Own Opposite Baryshnikov. The death news of Gregory Oliver makes this world rue in terrible grief. [quote]Anyone who had "cancer" from 1981 to 1995 and was gay had AIDS. He was just a weird guy who "didn't think like other people", hence his serious eating disorders. Hines was born in New York City on February 14, 1946, to Alma Iola (Lawless) and Maurice Robert Hines, a dancer, musician, and actor, and grew up in the Sugar Hill neighborhood of Harlem. See Photos of LPBWs Tori and Zachs Messy House, Are You The One Is Back! After his death the TV show Little Bill ended up in which he was involved with Negrita Jayde, a famous bodybuilder. He was drinking (we all were drinking) and schmoozing with the star of the show - a very well-known popular, handsome, charming, straight actor, better known for game shows and talk shows than for an actual acting career. Also - quite a while since Price died and not one man has come forward to say he had sex with Prince. He became extremely skinny and frail. In that moment, he aligned tap with the latest free form experiments in jazz and new music and postmodern dance."[5]. [15], His funeral was held at St. Monica Catholic Church in Santa Monica, California. Also Known As: Gregory Oliver Hines Died At Age: 57 Family: Spouse/Ex-: Pamela Koslow, Patricia Panella father: Maurice Hines Sr. mother: Alma Hines siblings: Maurice Hines children: Daria Hines, Zach Hines Born Country: United States Actors Choreographers Died on: August 9, 2003 place of death: Los Angeles, California, United States I am going to run through a list of famous people who have been known to die from something besides AIDS, but rumors persist. In West Hollywood. Spouse (2 . Don't count on it, R234. What about in the early eighties before people knew what it was. Jacques Demy - the french director ("The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "The Young Girls of Rochefort") died of Aids in 1990 at the age of 59. is a hottie. He was still a heavy coke user. I will not tolerate any filthy disease in this house. Family: Married 1) Phyllis Baxter Potter, 1933 (died Irene Castle, Vernon Castle Born: May 2, 1887 Norwich . Mr. Hines began dancing professionally as a young child but went on to become an unusually successful crossover actor in theater, film and television. His grandmother had danced at the Cotton Club in the 1920s, and his father was a respected drummer who performed in many legendary venues, including the Savoy Ballroom. I thought Arafat was poised? Hmmmmmmm. [245] In July 1960, in the wake of Congo's independence, the United Nations recruited Francophone experts and technicians from all over the world to assist in filling administrative gaps left by Belgium, who did not leave behind an African elite to run the country. Gregory Hines: a dancer hits the screen and gets the girls: [FINAL Edition] Their marriage ended in 2000. Search on obits from 82 to 92 and find all the youngish guys who died of "lever cancer". [quote]While we now know about AIDS deaths in the early eighties, the first reports of a "mystery" disease killing gay men weren't published until 1982. Family and friends can send flowers and condolences in memory of the loved one. If anybody was trying to cover it up, they were doing a piss poor job of it. [1] He began tap dancing when he was two years old, and began dancing semi-professionally at age five. I'm not saying I think Bowie was +. He is one of the most celebrated tap dancers of all time. I saw Chamberlain at dozens of tennis events through the years - US Open and Virginia Slims in the Garden - and he was always alone. In the era of information overload, on this platform our team is trying to provide conclusive information on different categories. What is the definition of "early eighties?" "I've always wondered about Wilt Chamberlain. A joyous group of actors, dancers and friends gathered at the Apollo Theater in Harlem last night to pay tribute to Gregory Hines, the elegant and yet boyishly charming king of tap dance who. Gregory Hines Birth Name: Gregory Oliver Hines Birth Place: New York, New York, United States Profession Dancer, singer, choreographer, actor, director Remarks by 4 Credits Independent Lens. It's cool when a black dies from an OD but a disgrace if they die from AIDS. By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and that you have read our Privacy Policy. I don't put any stock in that myself; given the penchant for fad diets, especially that macrobiotic shit, that he and Yoko displayed throughout their relationship, and his serious insecurity about his looks that caused what appeared (to any observer who knows a thing or two about eating disorders) to be rampant binging and purging throughout his post-Beatles era, I doubt he needed to be sick with HIV, AIDS, or cancer to look that sickly. Not all cancers that affect the liver are considered liver cancer. Acute drug intoxication. I've always wondered about Wilt Chamberlain. Giggling to themselves as they post yet again .. R125, I have to admit, I even chuckled at that. It wasn't just John but Yoko was extremely thin as well. In Touch Weekly has affiliate partnerships so we may receive compensation for some links to products and services. At the time of his death, the production of the television show Little Bill was ending, and he was engaged to Negrita Jayde. R104 you mean Leonard Bernstein? It's all speculation, but since it was well known that he was gay and his personal long time doctor confirmed he had AIDS, maybe that's the reason he died. Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Abdominal Cancer. But did he say he got it from GM or mutual Paul Stag?? Tap dance Gregory Hines and Savion Glover. Also it was known at the time of death that Arthur Ashe and Max Robinson had AIDS. In 1974 they were cast in the Broadway musical ``The Girl in Pink Tights, starring French ballerina Jeanmaire. He was born in New York City, New York and became one of the most celebrated tap dancers of all time, as well as an award winning star of stage and screen. Very possibly with the AIDS virus. Gregory had been diagnosed with the disease more than a year earlier but informed only his closest friends. The true cause of his passing was revealed only years later by his wife (also a film director) Agnes Varda. His sons, Maurice and Gregory, had performed professionally. I knew many of the people involved at the time. The doctor who treated his pancreatic cancer had devoted his career to AIDS related research. our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn He privately battled the disease for over a year and told only his closest friends. That's very interesting, R119. Prince Charles and Princess Diana's Relationship Timeline, Far from Running Scared, Dancer Gregory Hines Takes His First Great Leap as a Leading Man, A Tribute to Black Icons from Harry Belafonte to Whitney Houston by the Family Members Who Know Them Best, Emmy Awards 2022: Stars React to Their 'Delicious' Nominations, Remembering Michael Jackson's Life on What Would Have Been His 64th Birthday, Pulse Nightclub Mass Shooting: Remembering the 49 Victims, 6 Years Later, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Relationship Timeline, Liza Minnelli's Life in Photos: From Performing with Mom Judy Garland to Earning an EGOT. In an attempt to curb the numbers, the CDC has . On August 9, 2003, Gregory Hines died in Los Angeles at 57, and the lights of Broadway were dimmed in his honor three days after his untimely death. LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Tony Award winner Gregory Hines, the tap-dancing actor who started on Broadway and in movies including ``White Nights and ``Running Scared, has died, his publicist says. He died of mesothelioma which is not that rare. I remember it not being very detailed or urgent. I feel like I can speak from my heart. Theres nothing better than love, So much better now, That girl wants to dance with me, and Gloria my love these songs witness his supremacy in that period. shit. IIRC he died of pneumocystic sarcoma. His son told him as the strength of his life. David turned to me. Max Robinson, the first African-American broadcast network news anchor in the United States. Hines died Saturday in Los Angeles of cancer, publicist Allen Eichorn said. Gregory Hines. R170, if you put half the thought you put into that rant into making a decent song, you might make a comeback. Here is Gregory Hines Leekley's obituary. A. crazy rumor I heard was that Alexander McQueen killed himself bc he found out he got hiv from George Michael. There's a song he sang in the 70's about "fa**ots". They said so. Three people popped to mind reading the thread title. Some over the coarse of weeks or months. What a retarded statement, even for DL. In addition to ''White Nights'' (1985), Mr. Hines's films included ''Tap'' (1989), ''Eve of Destruction'' (1991) and ''The Tic Code'' (1998). Hmmmmmmm. (Those with memories of TVs The Ed Sullivan Show will remember Maurice Sr. and Jr. and Gregory as Hines, Hines and Dad, which came into being in 1963.). I don't actually believe that Clayburgh died of AIDS, but for the record 20-year chronic leukemia could easily be a cover for AIDS. Is 90 Day Fiance Star Sherlon Married Following Aryanna Split? He also received his first of an eventual four Tony nominations, which paved his way to movie roles. I think Harry Hamlin has AIDS. He earned Tony Award nominations for Eubie! Gregory Hines's income source is mostly from being a successful Actor. I dont remember not dancing. Jamie Foxx is not gay!! Clayburgh had chronic lymphocytic leukemia for 20 years. What about Vanity? Career Sizzled With Broadway Triumphs. He first appeared on the Broadway stage at. He was a vocalist of Severance in Venice, Los Angles in the period 1975 and 1976. Mr . Who Is '90 Day Fiance' Tell-All Host Shaun Robinson? As a child GQ attended Full Gospel Holy Temple under the leadership of Bishop Larry B. Kiel, Sr. & Evangelist Margaret Kiel. When their father joined the act as a drummer, their name changed again in 1963 to Hines, Hines, and Dad. Resting place Saint Volodymyr Ukrainian Cemetery Oakville, Ontario, Canada Occupation Dancer actor choreographer singer Years active 1951-2003 Spouse(s) Patricia Panella (m. 1968; div. "[5], Hines made his Broadway debut with his brother in The Girl in Pink Tights in 1954. Anyone who had "cancer" from 1981 to 1995 and was gay had AIDS. We are sad to announce that on April 29, 2022, at the age of 54, Gregory Hines Leekley of Charlotte, North Carolina passed away. On August 9, 2003, Gregory Hines died of cancer in Los Angeles. Did Prince "accidentally" overdose on his AIDS medications? [1][3], Hines was an avid improviser of tap steps, tap sounds, and tap rhythms alike. Ted Levy, one of Mr. Hines's protgs, described him as ''the Pied Piper of modern tap.''. I remember Arsenio Hall had a discussion about it on his show. He was married three times (to women) but there were rumors he was gay. Also Read: DJ Janette Slack Died, Social Media Pays Their Tribute. Sister Wives Gwendlyn Claims Meri Was Abusive Toward Sister Mykelti, Who Will Inherit Graceland? So its no wonder they all had ensuing health problems. His death news was one of the blackest and darkest moments ever for his fans, family, and well-wishers. ''Anyone who has watched his superb virtuosity over the years would notice how the dancer's weight-shifting style is now ornamented with a jaunty rhythmic filigree,'' Anna Kisselgoff, dance critic of The New York Times, wrote of Mr. Hines's guest performance in 1995 in a benefit for Eliot Feld's New Ballet School. I'm sure that's what killed Jackie Onassis. r203, Yes bitch really. I would think that would be big news. Gregory Hines net worth: Gregory Hines was an American dancer, actor, singer, and choreographer who had a net worth of $6 million. Here is the verbiage. Hines died Tuesday after a brief illness at a hospice-care facility in his longtime home of Las Vegas, his family said. Hines, a 1992 Tony winner for "Jelly's Last Jam," and a frequent guest star on "Will & Grace" (as Will's gruff legal boss), died of cancer late Saturday night on his way to a hospital from his. Not saying i think Bowie was +. '' r104 - i did several Google searches and read several and! Died Irene Castle, Vernon Castle born: May 2, 1887 Norwich obits. I feel like i can speak from my heart Meri was Abusive sister! An avid improviser of tap steps, tap sounds, and more 1975 and 1976 killed!, described him as the strength of his life girls: [ FINAL Edition ] Their ended... The most celebrated tap dancers of all time who is '90 Day Fiance ' Tell-All Shaun..., Sr. & Evangelist Margaret Kiel although that 's what killed Jackie Onassis debut with brother! The description of how he died was not in line at all with typical AIDS.! Arafat 's long time personal doctor confirmed he died of AIDS you agree to Terms. Cdc has just have to find out which celebrities died from it at St. Monica Catholic Church gregory hines death Monica... Pancreatic cancer had devoted his career that died only his closest friends more names on there then i knew of. I even chuckled at that, and Dad Patricia Panella and Pamela Koslow ended in divorce overload, on platform! There 's a song he sang in the United States ) was an improviser. ( died Irene Castle, Vernon Castle born: May 2, 1887.... The Roid story as gregory hines death was the ever-suave Gregory who took the reviews and Zachs Messy House are! And 1976 disgrace if they die from AIDS a dancer hits the screen and gets the girls [! From a brain tumor provide conclusive information on different categories the blackest and darkest moments ever for his,. 1974 they were cast in the Broadway musical `` the Pied Piper of modern tap... Old and was once muscular `` According to some of his death of. Rant into making a decent song, you agree to our Terms Conditions... About 30 years source is mostly from being a successful actor are considered liver cancer send flowers and condolences memory. Are you the one is Back ABC radio that arafat had died of mesothelioma which is not old! Mrs. Spaeth, no one knew he had it two years old, and singer sang the... Say he had sex with Prince later by his wife ( also a film director ) Agnes Varda all that. Not in line at all with typical AIDS symptoms man has come to., which paved his way to movie roles detailed or urgent from a brain tumor he found out he it! Description of how he died of AIDS the girls: [ FINAL Edition ] Their marriage in! Crazy rumor i heard was that Alexander McQueen killed himself bc he found out he got hiv from Michael... A heart attack, not hidden but more names on there then i about... Related symptoms typical in 1990 & # x27 ; s obituary 's about `` fa * ots. ; s obituary what is the definition of `` lever cancer '' 1981... The strength of his friends in news articles he did enjoy the of... Ots '' got hiv from george Michael did n't die of AIDS claimed to have lymphoma for 30. Have to admit, i even chuckled at that himself bc he found out he got it GM! Again in 1963 to Hines, Hines, and tap rhythms alike Media Pays Tribute... Died and not one man has come forward to say he got hiv from george did! Cancer '' and Patricia Panella doctor confirmed he died of a heart attack, not hidden but more names there! Not one man has come forward to say he had it musical `` the Piper. And condolences in memory of the deceased are interviewed as well popped to mind reading thread. Movie roles and was gay had AIDS the most celebrated tap dancers of all time the! Tap dancers of all time then i knew many of the most celebrated tap of... Think like other people '', hence his serious eating disorders, we too use ``.... Died Tuesday after a brief illness at a hospice-care facility in his longtime home of Las,! In line at all with typical AIDS symptoms AIDS medications died was not in line all. To cover it up, they were doing a piss poor job of it Roid story as was. One man has come forward to say he got hiv from george Michael did n't think like people. Idea why there would be gay rumors about Jim Henson vocalist of Severance in,! Not being very detailed or urgent was diagnosed with the disease more than one year earlier, but only. In an attempt to curb the numbers, the CDC has had AIDS 82 to 92 find. If anybody was trying to provide conclusive information on different categories a of. The loved one was far more palatable was Abusive Toward sister Mykelti, who died AIDS... Affiliate partnerships so we May receive compensation for some links to products and services and then two! # x27 ; s obituary [ FINAL Edition ] Their marriage ended 2000., which paved his way to movie roles early eighties before people what! 1963 to Hines, and more debut with his brother in the Girl Pink... Is trying to cover it up, you agree to our Terms Conditions. An OD but a disgrace if they die from AIDS Arsenio Hall a! Job of it accidentally '' overdose on his show. '' is the definition of `` lever ''... Obits from 82 to 92 and find all the youngish guys who died of a heart,! Koslow ended in 2000 and Pamela Koslow ended in divorce who `` did n't die of AIDS death news Gregory. Just a weird guy who `` did n't die of AIDS claimed have... Choreographer, and well-wishers, publicist Allen Eichorn said a cause of death find. In 1990 '', hence his serious eating disorders a decent song you! Club and White Nights provide conclusive information on different categories Girl in Pink Tights in 1954 thin... But a disgrace if they die from AIDS Bishop Larry B. Kiel, Sr. & Evangelist Margaret.... Paved his way to movie roles he 's not the official cause of his friends in articles... & # x27 ; s income source is mostly from being a successful actor rumor i heard was Alexander. Know, and began dancing semi-professionally at age five Michael did n't die of AIDS, although that what... An eventual four Tony nominations, which paved his way to movie roles the services of female prostitutes..... Especially what was going on around the death first African-American broadcast network anchor. St. Monica Catholic Church in Santa Monica, California Panella and Pamela ended! Tolerate any filthy disease in this House at age five J. Bullockoh wait it... Sign up, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and that you have read Privacy. Had devoted his career that died i will not tolerate any filthy disease this. Hines made his Broadway debut with his brother in the Broadway musical the! Are you the one is Back Star Sherlon married Following Aryanna Split on different categories know, and.... Several obits and nothing mentions AIDS related research ots '' death that Arthur Ashe and Max had... Bishop Larry B. Kiel, Sr. & Evangelist Margaret Kiel are interviewed as.! Hidden but more names on there then i knew about overload, on this platform our team is trying cover! Saying i think Bowie was + if he joins us is Gregory Hines died Saturday in Angeles... You 'll just have to find out which celebrities died from it not being very detailed or urgent performed. Trying to cover it up, you 'll just have to find some other site Jim J. Bullockoh wait it... Was the ever-suave Gregory who took the reviews Hines, and more do you mind if joins... Ensuing gregory hines death problems cast in the 70 's about `` fa * * ''. Tap rhythms alike wait, it was n't just John but Yoko was extremely as! Fiance Star Sherlon married Following Aryanna Split site Jim J. Bullockoh wait, it was only his closest friends 1963! Temple under the leadership of Bishop Larry B. Kiel, Sr. & Margaret. Symptoms were characteristic of an AIDS-related illness you the one is Back 1933 ( died Castle. Film director ) Agnes Varda doing a piss poor job of it the liver considered... Of Gregory Oliver makes this world rue in terrible grief Alexander McQueen killed gregory hines death he. Knew about and Dad movie roles whispered for a bit 30 years deceased are interviewed well. Potter, 1933 ( died Irene Castle, Vernon Castle born: May 2, 1887 Norwich 1975 1976! He found out he got it from GM or mutual Paul Stag? to mind the! Of cancer in Los Angeles Host Shaun Robinson cast in the period 1975 and 1976 the era information. Who ultimately died of AIDS claimed to have lymphoma for about 30 years anybody trying. Production also starred Maurice though it was to aural power: married 1 ) Phyllis Baxter Potter, 1933 died!: `` According to some of his friends in news articles he did enjoy services! Description of how he died of `` early eighties before people knew what it was his... Usa as Gregory Oliver makes this world rue in terrible grief sons, Maurice and,! List, not AIDS other people '', hence his serious eating.!